Naugahyde

Default Kenmore Refrigerator Water Filter Light Forever Green

From a track record on Google groups, this looks like a good place to
start posting this question.

We have a Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator with ice and water
dispensor that we purchased 2 years ago. We have never changed the
water filter. The water isn't slow coming out nor has the ice
dispensor depleated in production. The water tastes great... no
chlorine flavor. We use it very regularly - probably about 1/2 a
gallon+ a day. The filter light is still GREEN.

The manual states that you should change the filter when the light
turns red, then mentions that should happen between 6 and 9 months. My
wife is insisting that the light is not working since it has never
turned yellow or red (in 2 years). But then I point out that the water
tastes good and isn't slow coming out.

There is one more thing. A month after we bought it, the fridge was
leaking water on the floor underneath it anytime we tried to use the
water dispensor. One of Sears' technicians came in and fixed that
issue. I doubt he bypassed the filter since I just pulled it out to
show my wife and water came out of it. The water had a slight grey
tone to it, but I don't see any grey color to the water we drink or to
the ice.

My wife called Sears and told them what was going on. They wanted to
charge $40 just to send out a technician since it's out of warranty.
My wife explained that they were losing money on water filters since I
refuse to buy one until either the water tastes chlorinated or the
light turns red. The Sears lady just said nothing for a while then
asked "well what do you want ME to do about it?"

Please advise.

Thanks.
Bri