Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default The trip and Hartland Hardware !!!!!!

On 1/3/2020 5:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 5:52:52 PM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 1/2/2020 4:14 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/2/2020 3:37 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
In case some of you have not seen or visitedÂ* Hartville Hardware,

https://www.hartvillehardware.com/

Most of the good old hardware stores are going away.Â* This was
one of my favorites when I was in the area:

https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/powe...-in-business_o

I actually ordered an out feed table from 7 Corners about 6 years ago.

FWIW the Hartville hardware compound is owned by the Amish.Â* Service was
stellar.

7 Corners Ace was truly Mecca for the woodworker or tool junkie. Used
to go up there to visit my daughter in grad school and would always make
a stop at 7 Corners to browse and then go to the Italian Deli/Restaurant
across the street to grab some lunch.

If I went there, I'd eat first. Gotta keep your strength up while browsing
the tool aisle. You might have to carry something out. ;-)

Truly a shame that it closed. It was like walking back in time. I
don't that I've ever seen so much NOS in one place. It was everywhere.
What immediately struck me was the layout in what I believe was likely
the original store (IIRC the whole thing took up several buildings).

I walked down aisles that had shelves maybe 10'-12' high and there was
no sliding ladder nor room to roll one of those steps units like at the
big box stores. Merchandise was stacked floor to ceiling with no
obvious organization (at least in that area of the store). I'm a big guy
(6'4" and 250+) and was feeling a bit claustrophobic.

Upstairs in that building (or perhaps it was the one immediately to the
south) was their higher end stuff. Surveying equipment, and the more
expensive stuff. That area at least had room to breath.

All in all it was quite a surprise to me as they were one of the first
places I made mail order purchases of tools from, back when they ran ads
in every issue of Fine Woodworking.

It's really a shame that those wood butchers who follow in our footsteps
in coming years will be unlikely to experience stuff like this.

It was a great experience though. On my last trip there I found a large
box containing 48 metal boxes about 4"x6"x"4", nicely painted. I think
I bought them for about $25. Drilled narrow end for some cheap wood
knobs and damn, those suckers hold a ton of hardware.