Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ed Vance Ed Vance is offline

Default More about that Chine

01-03-20 06:46 Trevor Wilson wrote to about More about that
Chine
Howdy Trevor,

TW @MSGID:
TW @REPLY:
TW On 3/01/2020 1:21 am,
wrote:
-Snip-
TW You should also note that I very carefully showed why tubes, in general
TW and cheap, .... tube amps, specifically, are a stupid idea for a high
TW fidelity audio reproduction system in 2019. I did so, using published
TW graphs and an assumption that the readers of this group have the
TW technical abilities to understand those graphs and their implications
TW for real-world loudspeakers.

The BBS I use added this Conference last Year (2019).
I have looked at a few messages, but thought to post my first message here
about the Tube Amplifier topic.

When I was in High School (1956-1959) I told a friend that I wondered
if a Intercom systems Audio Output on one end could be ran through a Diode
positioned on one lead --|--

and the Audio Output at the other end have a Diode positioned --|-- to
have a Two Way conversation without either end having to flip the
Listen - Talk Switch, and no Audio Feedback could occur because of the
difference of Polarity.

My friend connected a Diode between an Audio Amplifier and a Speaker and
I remember the sound I heard was terrible, distorted iirc.

I built a Heathkit AA-32 Tubed Stereo Amplifier in the 1970's.
I can't remember if Heath offered Transitorized Stereo Amplifiers back then.

I've heard beautiful Audio from Both Transistorized and Tubed Hi-Fi System.
BUT
I always remember hearing the racket coming out of my friends speaker when
he used that Diode to demostrate what it would sound like.
AND
When I (even) see a advertisement for a Semiconductor Audio Amp I always
think why did a Square Wave sound so bad back then but doesn't in the gear
sold now.

73 de Ed W9ODR . .

.... Have you checked your smoke detector batteries & Fire Ext, LATELY?!