Minnie Bannister

Default 220V question

OK, here's one for you:

Our previous house had a 4-pin outlet for the dryer, but our present one
had only a 3-pin outlet, so I replaced the dryer cord by a 3-pin one
(and moved the green wire at the connection block, according to
instructions).

But we have subsequently stacked the dryer and the washer, so everything
now has a "real" ground through the washer's power cord, right? (And
doesn't that mean that the neutral and ground are now connected at a
place other than the main panel?)

Would there be any advantage in replacing the 3-pin dryer outlet by a
4-pin and replacing the 4-pin cord?

MB

On 04/20/04 08:09 pm Doug Miller put fingers to keyboard and launched
the following message into cyberspace:

No. Your main panel is just fine. The NEC *requires* the ground and neutral
bars to be bonded at the main panel, and *prohibits* *any* connection between
ground and neutral anywhere else.