Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuses - again

On Monday, 30 December 2019 22:14:50 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, 30 December 2019 11:01:02 UTC, Scott wrote:
On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 23:41:59 +0000, Steve Walker

IIRC the IEC plugs commonly used on computer, hi-fi, entertainment
systems, even (hot version) kettles these days, are only rated for 10A.
As they may be swapped between devices, it'd make sense to make them all
rated 10A and use a 10A fuse.

I noticed that with two computer cables both fused at 10A. I replaced
the printer with 5A (claimed rating 2.5A). I don't know what to use
for the PC itself because of the array of components involved.
Thinking about 7A :-)

PCs typically take an amp or less. Only high power systems eat more. While '500w' PSUs are moderately common, they're normally not 500w, and a computer that eats 500w is an unusual animal. Hype rules.

I think the new Mac Pro towers have 1.4Kw PSUs

NT