Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Fuses (not a serious question)

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 20 December 2019 18:19:29 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 19 December 2019 12:31:37 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 19 December 2019 11:34:16 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Thursday, 19 December 2019 10:21:08 UTC, Scott wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 09:35:42 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 18/12/2019 19:57, Scott wrote:

I left a plug fuse in my jacket pocket, which I then washed at
40
degrees (mix programme). Could I still use it (after drying
out
obviously) or will its electrical properties be compromised?

For the price of a fuse I would not risk it, since its
impossible
to say
how it would perform under fault conditions. Any moisture inside
would
convert to steam on a high current fault, and make the enclosure
more
likely to rupture.

Thanks. Seriously, that was my plan but I just wondered out of
curiosity.

It would need to be dried out, eg in an oven at a bit above 100C.
Trouble is you'd be hard pressed to tell when it was dry.

The normal way to do that is to keep weighing it until the weight
doesnt drop anymore. And you dont need accurate scales for that
either, just a simple beam balance with another of those fuses.

Yes that's true I have a see-saw arrangment I could try that on.
I've just weighed 3 3amp fuses and 3 13 amp fuses and they all weigh
between 2.36g and 2.44g

I've now placed a 2.41g fuse in some warm water.
I'll report back later today on it's weight.

Well 22 hours later and the fuse weighs 2.41g

How would water get into a fuse I wonder.

I doubt the metal caps are water tight

The ones here seem to be tried a few.
They are also perhaps 10+ years old so not the cheap chinese
stuff you might be buying on ebay.

I actually stole them from work and they would be
about 40 years old. Havent tried to see how water
tight they are in a washing machine hot cycle tho.

and it may be possible to get some
vacuum effect as it cools down in
a washing machine at the end of the
hot wash followed by a cold rinse.

yeah sure with cheap fuses.
I also tried it with a couple of glass fuses, no sighn of water getting
in.

But did you try it in a washing machine hot wash full cycle ?