Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson[_4_] Trevor Wilson[_4_] is offline

Default More about that Chinese amp

On 2/01/2020 10:21 am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 1/1/2020 4:23 PM, Trevor Wilson wrote:
I have no time for bull****, like cheap, ****ty, Chinese tube amps.

You seem to be spending time here ranting about them.Â* What's it to you
if Eric chooses the amp he has. He's not asking for amp selection
advice.Â* Quite the contrary.Â* Let it go.

**I care for several reasons:

* When people support dodgy manufacturers, it encourages those
manufacturers to foist yet more ****ty products to market.
* When people refuse to accept that they made a mistake by buying a
cheap, ****ty amplifier, they may encourage others to purchase similar
products. This sets a poor precedent, as there are many quite decent SS
amplifiers available, for quite decent prices.
* I have considerable experience with cheap, ****ty amplifiers (not just
tube ones). I fix 'em for a living. Owners can waste stupid amounts of
money trying to deal with poor manufacturing techniques and/or outright
stupid design. I am attempting to save the original poster considerable
angst.

[Anecdote] One of my mates learned to drive on a 1934 Ford V8. He has
many fond memories of the car. He is a wealthy guy and recently spent a
small fortune (AUS$100k) buying and fully restoring a nice example of
that car. After one, 100km trip in the car, he sold it. At a substantial
loss. It caused him a great deal of trouble and driving it was not what
he remembered.

We can all remember our first (few) amps. Mine were all tube ones (all
built by me). I loved them a lot. I can also remember the considerable
cost involved in replacing the tubes in a couple of them. KT88 tubes
were expensive back then. Now, original GE MOV KT88 tubes insanely
expensive. Chinese substitutes are ****.

Time to move on. Tubes are so 1950s. Great back then. Not so much now.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au