Chris Eller

Default 220V question

Chris Lewis wrote:
According to Toller :

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to :
Is it just me, or do we get this question every day?

Just about. Worse, it's the same guy telling them that neutral
and ground are the same thing every time.

Maybe I am that guy!
The 240v circuits to my A/C, oven and dryer have two hots and an
"uninsulated neutral" (some manufacturers call it a "bare neutral". Say
what you what, that is the official designation. And of course, it is
attached to the chassis, so it is also the ground. Every house on my
street, and millions of others, are wired identically. What is the last
time you heard of a problem with it?

Evidently the NEC heard of enough to change the practise.

The ground and the neutral aren't the same thing, but they are the same
wire.

Not anymore. NEC now forbids that practise in new construction.

CEC hasn't permitted it for at least 3 decades.

Lots of good information in here (and some good/bad opinions).

Related then is the following; my house was built in 1965 and uses a bonded
G/N for my 110/220 outlets (stove to be precise). Everyone seems to agree
that a seperage G and N are a _good idea_, and I agree with that. Is it worth
it to run a new 4-conductor line to my stove for such a refit?

Something that may make this a moot point; mt main electrical box has bonded
neutral and ground bus-bars. So, any improvements I make up the line won't
really help as the box is old design. Probably have to replace the box as
well.

An I on target here?

Thanks in advance,
Chris