Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Self Service Saw at Menards

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 09:33:06 -0500, John McGaw
wrote:

On 12/31/2019 9:19 AM, knuttle wrote:
On 12/31/2019 9:10 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 07:44:57 -0500, knuttle
wrote:

On 12/31/2019 2:03 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 12:32:36 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
Found my local Menards has a "self-service" saw.Â* It's a compound
miter saw
with a nice long infeed and outfeed table.Â* The sign said basically
"if you
feel comfortable using this, you can.Â* PPE is near the saw in a box."

I had brought my own circular saw, but wound up using their saw instead.
It was really nice to control the tolerance of my cuts, rather than
hoping
to find the guy who actually can read the tape measure and hold better
than
1/4" tolerance.

Really neat, I hope they keep this for a long time!

https://img.memecdn.com/what-could-p...o_5802169.webp
Puckdropper

I would expect this will not be around long as thier insurance company
will find the practice objectionable and their insurnance will go up

Remember that Menards is Canadian.Â* In Canada the loser in a
litigation usually pays the winner's costs, there is a very low cap on
"pain and suffering", punitive damages are only awarded if malice can
be demonstrated, and per capita Canada has about 1/4 as many lawsuits
as the US, so the risk is much lower.

I forgot it was a Canadian company.Â* I know there was a Menards in Fort
Wayne and Indianapolis Indiana and several other mid western US cities.

It was my favorite place to shop when we live in Indianapolis.

I wish theyÂ* would come to Raleigh, but I doubt if they ever will in my
life time.

Menards is all over the US, even as far as Tennessee although none in my
immediate area. Being a Canadian company wouldn't help them a bit if they
were sued in the US but I'm sure that their legal staff and insurance
companies have vetted their practices. This will probably hold until some
litigious oaf takes them to court demanding $100M because they got an owie
using a self-service saw to trim their toenails.

Was that particular Menards in the US or in Canada though?

We (the US) really need to fix our legal system. It has been a pimple
on the ass of progress for as long as I can remember.