Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Fuses - again

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 05:42:22 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 09:50:59 UTC, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 01:02:43 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:
On 30/12/2019 22:14, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 30 December 2019 11:01:02 UTC, Scott wrote:
On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 23:41:59 +0000, Steve Walker

IIRC the IEC plugs commonly used on computer, hi-fi, entertainment
systems, even (hot version) kettles these days, are only rated for 10A.
As they may be swapped between devices, it'd make sense to make them all
rated 10A and use a 10A fuse.

I noticed that with two computer cables both fused at 10A. I replaced
the printer with 5A (claimed rating 2.5A). I don't know what to use
for the PC itself because of the array of components involved.
Thinking about 7A :-)

PCs typically take an amp or less. Only high power systems eat more. While '500w' PSUs are moderately common, they're normally not 500w, and a computer that eats 500w is an unusual animal. Hype rules.

Not unusual for a gaming PC's CPU to use 120W when working hard and a
pair of graphics card to take 300W between them. That doesn't leave a
lot out of 500W for the motherboard, RAM, hard-disks/SSDs, etc.

So my initial 'guesstimate' of 7A might be okay then (allowing for
surges)?

any mains fuse from 2A or 3A up is ok, PCs are all modern appliances. 7A is far above necessary of course. The inrush current duration is too short to worry such a fuse.

Thanks.