Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 3 phase motor and VFD questions

On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 17:34:08 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 12:14:18 -0800, wrote:

I scrapped my GE washing machine. (...) But now
I have what appears to be a nice 3 phase motor.

(...)
I do have a VFD that takes 120 volt single phase input and outputs
230 volts at up to 400 Hz.

Most VFD's can be jumpered for either 120 or 240VAC. Maker and model
number would be helpful here.

I would like to run the motor from it if I
can but what if the voltage is too high?

If the voltage is too high, you'll burn up either the VFD, motor, or
both.

Can the motor be run at too
high voltage for a while without damage?

No. You'll burn up the motor or burn up the VFD from too much
current.

Will too high voltage just
cause overheating?

Yes. You will rapidly begin sweating profusely as the motor begins
performing a rapid self-disassembly.

I'm thinking that with the proper reduction the motor would make a
great motor for a small lathe and my son has a 9 inch South Bend that
would be much easier to use if it had infinite speed control.

Washing machine motors are usually 1/2 or 3/4 horsepower. The South
Bend 9" light duty (10K) lathe will suffice with a 3/4 hp motor. The
9" heavy duty flavor (10L) lathe might need a 1 hp motor. Bigger is
always better:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?t=83521
I'm not sure about the RPM but you should be able to extract it from
the existing motor's nameplate. Mo
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/what-correct-9a-motor-size-238473/
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.crafts.metalworking/uHEsa0IHoxI
etc. Lots more on SB lathe motors, etc found with Google.

You'll probably also need a spindle speed tachometer. Something like
this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332908532113

I'll need to check my VFD to see if it can be jumpered to output
120 volts. I couldn't remember if more voltage would cause more
current. Thanks.
Since my son is doing light duty work with the lathe 1/2 HP should
be fine. And the motor he is using now is 1/2 hp. It's just a standard
single phase induction motor though. The washing machine motor has a
tach so that's covered. If I can get the existing VFD to work out of
the washer.
Cheers,
Eric