SQLit

Default 220V question

"Toller" wrote in message

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to :
Is it just me, or do we get this question every day?

Just about. Worse, it's the same guy telling them that neutral
and ground are the same thing every time.

Maybe I am that guy!
The 240v circuits to my A/C, oven and dryer have two hots and an
"uninsulated neutral" (some manufacturers call it a "bare neutral". Say

I just bought a new maytag dryer they tried to hand me a 3 wire plug. I
nixed it they said it was just fine. I said if they want to complete the
order get the right part. They did and all is well. My new home circa 1999
has four wire even for the water heater. Which was good when I connected the
time clock.

what you what, that is the official designation. And of course, it is
attached to the chassis, so it is also the ground. Every house on my
street, and millions of others, are wired identically. What is the last
time you heard of a problem with it?

If there was not a problem with it why was it changed. Every time you use a
ground as a neutral you ask for problems. Granted it does not happen very
often. But it does happen.
The industry has learn a few things in the last 30 years and all that the
NEC does is set a mininum standard. When followed the installation will be
safe for all concerned.

The ground and the neutral aren't the same thing, but they are the same
wire.

Excuse me, No they are not.
A ground is a non current carrying conductor most of the time. A neutral
carries current and voltage. That is why it is insulated all of the time a
ground can be both insulated or bare.