Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Rachel Maddow - NRA Collapsing

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 12:45:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 09:06:05 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, December 28, 2019 at 2:17:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 13:57:47 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/28/2019 1:45 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 7:31:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 14:36:40 -0800 (PST), wrote:

The NRA has record high membership and they manage to spend close to a
half billion a year on causes and candidates so rumors of their demise
by people like Madcow are greatly exaggerated, grounded in wishful
thinking.

Really? As far as I've been able to determine, they've been claiming
"five million" or "nearly five million" or "5.5 million" for about
eight years. Analysis of their IRS filings suggests that much of
their income (and income growth) nowadays is from donations rather
than dues.

My husband used to be a member, but dropped his membership because
the organization was getting "crazy". He still shoots fairly often.

I suspect the NRA will eventually succumb to demographic changes,
despite the jump in membership they get every time there's a
mass shooting and folks start talking about gun control.

Cindy Hamilton

The NRA is a Us vs. Them situation. They want zero control. If they
took a stance and did something to keep lawful guns out of the hands of
bad guys they would be looked at much differently.

The NRA does support enforcing the laws that will do that. ATF, not so
much. How many street level dealers get caught? How many of those are
actually prosecuted? Usually what happens is, the gun charge gets
tossed in a plea bargain for another crime, even if the gun charge
might actually bring more time in a federal prison, where getting out
early is harder to do than in overcrowded, underfunded state prisons.

I agree, the existing laws need to be better enforced or changed so that
they are enforceable. And where is Trump on this? Hello? Which makes
people like Ed and me wonder if the NRA really wants gun laws enforced.
If they do, why are they not challenging Trump to do it?

Things like trying to pass laws on private sales is clearly
unenforceable so your tongue is forking again.

Wow, I thought the vast majority of gun owners were supposed to be good,
law abiding citizens. Now you're again saying that these good, law
abiding citizens won't obey new laws covering private sales. What a bizarre
argument to make.