Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Wade[_2_] David Wade[_2_] is offline

Default New Boiler - Recomendations

On 29/12/2019 18:27, newshound wrote:
On 29/12/2019 15:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/12/2019 17:16, The Marquis Saint Evremonde wrote:
T i m posted
On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 14:41:00 +0000, Another Dave
wrote:

On 28/12/19 14:28, David Wade wrote:

Does any one have an Ideal Boiler and if so what do they think of
them?

It's not a combi, so may not be relevant, but I've got an Ideal
ICOS. It
was in the house when I bought it 13 years ago and, apart from a new
igniter and occasional service, has been flawless.

Talking to a heating engineer the other day he didn't seem to be too
impressed with Vaillant.

Nor am I. We had one installed a few months ago and it is bloody
awful. The software appears to be rigged to make the thing heat the
place up as slowly as possible, and no amount of fiddling with the
settings will remedy it.

In which case, it sounds like the installer has not set it up
correctly. There is no reason it should take any longer to heat the
place than any other boiler of comparable power.

That would be my guess too. Given that both "Which" and regular posters
here tend to put Vaillant and Worcester Bosch at the top of the pile
particularly for hardware.

I found the criteria Which use is somewhat unclear. They also don't
appear to have actually tested ANY boilers. They simply quote "Brand
Reliability" so how reliable a brand is overall. Of the Ideal they say...

Pros
Good reliability record and customers and engineers are fond of the brand.

Cons
No significant cons.

I also know when I read some of the other reviews(e.g. TVs) there are
aspects of their testing which strikes of "Political Correctness". I
have an LG which TV which is rated a "best buy" but it has a really
annoying "feature" where when you open the program guide the TV channel
stops playing instead of going to small screen like my LG... (which has
other grumbles)...

Dave