Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default House has hard water, pls recommend a water softening system

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 1:02:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
hi I have inherited my parent's house in the NorthEast usa. It has well water.
Growing up there were always alot of leaks in the copper pipes. My Dad said the problem was that the well water was 'hard' and it was rough on the pipes. He said years ago someone told him about a system that could improve the water but he never pursued it. Does any one have a system that softens water? Can anyone suggest a good one? thanks

I've never associated hard water with copper pipes leaking. Typically
the complaints with hard water are that it builds up scale, especially
in water heaters, boilers, etc. It requires more detergent to wash
clothes, can leave stains in sinks, iron being the offender there.

If you want a softener, I'd at least look into Nuvo, which is one that's
based on using citric acid cartridges, instead of salt. IDK much about
it except seeing it advertised on TV and it looks interesting. Key issue
would be how much water a cartridge will do and how much they cost.
The typical ones use salt, which is cheap. And you should first get
the water tested to know what you're dealing with, how hard it really is, etc.