SQLit

Default celing isue

"Stephanie Stowe" wrote in message
Hi. I am a newbie here. I will likely be here more as our home needs much
repair (which is why we got such a good price on it). Our kitchen ceiling

is
a mess. We have to patch a hole where a sky light was covered up when the
new roof was put on. We are taking out the faux beams and replacing the
light fixtures. (Can anyone say the seventies are OVER??!!??) So we have

patch the sky light and patch the big holes where the bolts are holing up
the hideous beams. DH does not want to replace the whole ceiling. Too hard
compared to fixing. The paint on the ceiling is that scalloped texture. DH
wants to match the paint by taking a chip to the paint store. I think it
will be hard to match the color and the texture. I would like to strip the
texture and repaint the whole ceiling, probably with the nubbly texture.

DH
says that the texture cannot be removed without removing the ceiling. I do
not beleive him. How could I remove the scalloped texture on the ceiling

so
I can repaint? I thought of sanding. But that would make a huge mess.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Patching drywall for me is a issue that I take pretty seriously. I will do
rough taping but when it comes to surfaces to paint. The smallest
imperfection will be noticed once the paint is on. So I always hire pros to
do the final coats and textures.
Not being able to see your ceiling if the texture was done with drywall mud
and a sponge in a circular motion. Probably never match it.
To remove the texture try using a wet sponge and moisten an area letting it
soak a bit then using a putty knife start scraping. Start at one of the
holes and work away from the hole until you can use an 8-10" drywall knife.
It will come off. It just depends on how much time you want to spend with
it. Patch, sand and then re-texture, finally paint.
I hope your talking about the knock down texture used a lot today. Your term
of nubbly texture sounds a lot like what I call popcorn. No one uses it
much today unless they are trying to hide imperfections.

I removed a wall forming a great room. All popcorn ceilings. Contractors
wanted a buck a square foot for removal. I got a lot of plastic, a wet
sponge and did a little every other night for an hour. A week passed and I
was done. I patched the hole left by the wall removal and used fiberglass
tape for the joints once I had it sealed and level as best I could do I
contacted a contractor I have used in the past and they finished the rest.
Never could see the wall patch but if the light was right the tape joints
from the ceiling were noticeable until the 4th coat of paint. Since the
popcorn sucked up most of the paint and was a huge cover up originally they
did not spend a lot of time doing the tape joints.

Have fun