Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Rachel Maddow - NRA Collapsing

On Saturday, December 28, 2019 at 1:45:22 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 7:31:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 14:36:40 -0800 (PST), wrote:

The NRA has record high membership and they manage to spend close to a
half billion a year on causes and candidates so rumors of their demise
by people like Madcow are greatly exaggerated, grounded in wishful
thinking.

Really? As far as I've been able to determine, they've been claiming
"five million" or "nearly five million" or "5.5 million" for about
eight years. Analysis of their IRS filings suggests that much of
their income (and income growth) nowadays is from donations rather
than dues.

My husband used to be a member, but dropped his membership because
the organization was getting "crazy". He still shoots fairly often.

Same here, I left the NRA twenty years ago. One thing that annoyed
me was the non-stop mailings, every couple of weeks, with a moronic
letter with a plea for more money.

I still get those from the Republicans. Apparently they have not figured
out I left them yet. A couple weeks ago I got a letter from Melania.
It said "check enclosed" on the outside. The check was a copy of a check
for $45 that Melania had donated to the GOP. The letter asked me to do
the same. That's the kind of shystering that got me fed up with both
the NRA and GOP. Another GOP favorite is a letter from the chair saying
that next week I have to give the president a list of our supporters
from NJ and I hope to be able to put your name on the list. Or the
critical "survey', with questions like:

Do you think Trump should be impeached?
Are you in favor of NK having nuclear weapons?
Are you in favor of unlimited abortion?
Do you approve of open borders?

Followed of course by an urgent appeal for more money. The fact that they
keep doing this, must mean that it works. And what does that tell you about
what the GOP thinks of the intelligence of the members of their own party?

I suspect the NRA will eventually succumb to demographic changes,
despite the jump in membership they get every time there's a
mass shooting and folks start talking about gun control.

Cindy Hamilton

At the very least this country's attitude and approach to guns will
change eventually. It's just a question of how many more need to die
needlessly before that happens.