Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default New Boiler - Recomendations

On 29/12/2019 12:16:06, mechanic wrote:
On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 15:05:39 +0000 (UTC), RJH wrote:

On noise running, I definitely wouldn't want it in a bedroom - or
any living room come to that. Maybe a kitchen diner if it was
enclosed. It's noisiest at start/stop - heating is OK. Water is
quite noisy. And if you want the water pre-heat, it'll fire up
and go through a quite loud cycle of heat/purge/overrun every few
hours. Mine's in the kitchen.

TBH, I don't think I'd be happy with any boiler in a bedroom.

Our W-B combi boiler is spec'd at fairly low noise level, but a lot
of the noise at startup is pipes warming up and creaking. You could
always turn the central heating off till needed when you wake up. I
wouldn't have another combi though, the controller often can't
decide wether to supply hot or cold running water for some time
before settling down, wasting several litres in the process. The
W-B support people don't recognise a control problem, they just
repeat the mantra of flushing the cold water out before you receive
hot water at the tap. A separate hot water cylinder obviously needs
more space, but wastes less water waiting for the shower to run
hot.

The supplied thermostat/controller is pretty crap too.

I used an undersink water heater to provide sufficient hot water for
washing up. Electric shower negates any need for a combi.

Sometimes the simplest systems are the best.