Default Cutting a 3" hole in cast-iron waste stack

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:25:02 GMT, "berkshire bill"

I don't think you will have any success cutting a hole into a stack without
it shattering. Your best bet is to find a spot where a T-wye can be
inserted and do a proper transition to PVC.

Sorry, Bill, it appears that I misunderstood (below) your suggestion.
For some reason I thought you were suggesting adapting to an existing
cleanout.

Brain fart on my part.

Al

Hi Bill, thanks for the response. That's a good thought about the
T-wye, and I had considered that general idea earlier on and there is,
in fact, a cleanout at the base of the stack (at the floor) which is
about 5 feet and ~30 degrees away from the 3" PVC stubout (about 1'
beneath the basement ceiling joists). I started thinking about the
hole-cutting idea after a plumber in a plumbing supply suggested the
PVC saddle adapter and made it sound like it was a pretty routine
solution to my retrofit problem. All the books I'd looked at at the
time were unanimous that I'd need to cut a section out of the riser
with a chain cutter...now, THAT did scare me. So, the hole cutting
possibility seemed way closer to my comfort zone.

I'm going to look closer at the feasibility of the wye-solution and
I'll keep you guys updated on how things work out.

Btw, I am under the impression that cast iron machines real well (I
suppose that's why it's used for engine blocks), so shattering may not
be a risk.

Thanks for the advice.

Al