Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220 in sequence

On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 07:23:04 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 3:34:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 10:05:14 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 12:39:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 08:06:18 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Im wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether its the ground or neutral?

The only wire you can share is the ground. (same size as the
ungrounded conductors).

Not sure what that means. If you put two heaters on one circuit,
you are sharing all the conductors.

"Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share
any wires whether its the ground or neutral?"

You only have to supply one Equipment Grounding Conductor, sized to
the largest overcurrent device in the group. You can't share any
current carrying conductors on separate circuits tho.

OK, I see. What defines a group then? In the same conduit?
Anything else? For a porch I figure he'd use Romex, so if he has two
circuits he gets two ground wires anyway.

It can really be anything but for your usual residential setting, you
are right, the cable wiring methods come with their own ground. It
usually comes up when you are using plastic conduit or tube. Carlon
was trying very hard to get Smurf tube (ENT) into residential
installations 25 years ago but they ended up settling for a more
limited market. The only place I see it here is when they are pouring
concrete around it. That is what I did in my addition too. The boxes
are in poured cells, fed with 3/4" smurf. There is no drywall out
there. The normal installation is the light over a garage door or
coach lights on the sides, poured in the tie beam and doweled cells
on both sides of the door.