Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default How to plumb a towel rail

On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 09:26:57 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"
wrote:

Yes well enjoying the rest from stuff, but apart from that a normal day
really.

Which is all it really is to millions of folk of course.

When you cannot see, I guess the pretty stuff and cards of Christmas
seem a wee bit pointless.

If you feel what you feel for others *anyway*, I'm not sure what some
fairy lights or a card offer extra, certainly over a visit or phone
call and chat? I would much rather forgo all that and really be there
for someone in need or know they were there for me. We stick 20 quid
in the Isabel Hospice box instead of all the cards we don't send and
the environment is happier as well. ;-)

Never let anyone tell you that being on your own
and being lonely are the same thing either. Certainly you can be lonely when
in a crowd of shoppers who seem to have nothing in common with you, just as
easily as when on ones own, its probably a state of mind, not anything to do
with other people.

Oh, absolutely ... and the same for many elderly especially is they
haven't embraced technology or had the opportunity to, helped by
family members and so can make new friends that way. My Mrs plays
Words with Friends and has made a few virtual friends as a result. My
Mum who is nearly 90 keeps in touch with her extended family through
her iPad and because she's hard of hearing, IM works very well for
her.

One of the most saddening things is to hear from someone caring for a
partner with dementia is that they miss having someone to talk to
(where 'to' used to equal an rational conversation). You are with
someone but they aren't often with you or it. ;-(

Cheers, T i m