Posted to alt.home.repair

Default radial arm saw??

On 12/24/2019 10:31 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 15:22:37 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 00:28:09 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 16:47:39 -0800 (PST), Davej wrote:

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 10:08:44 AM UTC-6, G.B. Cricket wrote:
Hey All,

Been trying to find a new radial arm saw but it looks like nobody builds
them today? What happened? ??

They are considered semi-obsolete. You can pick used ones up by the
dozen for cheap on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. I think it is
now considered safer to instead use a table saw and/or a sliding miter
saw.

I had 10" Delta or Dewalt radial arm saw, can't remember which. Good saw. But I wouldn't
want one now. Now I have a Craftsman 10" sliding miter saw that takes up 10% of that RA
saw space. More accurate too. IMO, the biggest downside of a RA saw is the arm flex.
Not good when looking for perfect cuts.
Oddly enough, I used the RA mostly for ripping.

The one job it WAS good for - - -

The RA saw is pretty much the only tool if you are making trusses and
you need a ****load of intricate cuts, identically. in lots of pieces
of long stock. Unfortunately not a lot of people do that. I assume it
would be good for fence pickets or pretty much anything else where you
have long pieces that you can set a stop block and cut factory style.
There have been a few other times where I wish I had one but not
enough to dedicate that kind of shop space.

Miter saw or sliding miter will do that with ease.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/200...radial-arm-saw