Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More gear than Carnaby Street in the 60s!

On 24/12/19 18:32, Dave W wrote:
On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 09:39:00 +0000, Jeff Layman

More detail please.

On 'Disassembled motor' there is a capacitor; is this what you call a
starter capacitor? There are still two wires going into the tube -
where to? I found a diagram of another tubular motor in which the
actual motor was in the middle of the tube, and only the limit swiches
were on the left.

On 'Fixed-planetary-ring', there is a six-toothed socket at the
bottom; is there a corresponding 6-toothed gear in the middle of the
planetary gears that fits? Is the socket fixed or does it rotate?
Perhaps it is on an internal motor shaft.

Is the flattened shaft on the right of the gears fixed to the housing
or connected to the planetary gears?

I'll get back to you after Christmas on these points. You could be right
that the motor is in the middle - the wires disappearing inside puzzled
me. I had assumed they might be going to some thermal or mechanical
overload switch. Unfortunately the middle bit (under the fixed planetary
ring) seems to be potted or is otherwise fixed in. I couldn't see how,
but I'll have another look. I might also try to connect it all up to the
power and see what turns where.

In you first paragraph you mention a diagram of another tubular motor
with the motor in the middle. Do you have a URL for that?

--

Jeff