Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problems with email using BT

On 24/12/2019 13:54, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/12/2019 19:34, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/12/2019 00:27, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 22/12/2019 13:57, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/12/2019 21:39, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 21/12/2019 19:11, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/12/2019 15:45, John Rumm wrote:
I think most would be comfortable with the concept of a "SMTP
server", a "POP3 server" and an "IMAP server" as being fair
description a software process running on a server that
implements
the server end of those protocols.

They might be, but the established terminology is of an SMTP
relay,
because it *serves* nothing.

If it sits there with an open rendezvous port, waiting for a
client
to connect, then its a server.

No, it isnt.

A router does that.

No, routers route packets.

For some reason I can't see TNP's reply which you quoted. However
I am
somewhat surprised by it since I had thought he had a better grip on
networking related stuff and hence would know that a router is
layer 3
device with no concept of end to end transport steam concepts
like ports
and sockets.

Every router I have had has a management interface. It listens to
telnelt ssh or http.
Does that make it a server?

Yes.Â*Â* In a rather trivial, but undeniable, sense.

I wonder why we call it a 'router' then. Not a 'server'

Because that is its primary function. It likely has a network switch
built in as well, but they don't call it that. Same for the built in
WAP.

In addition to its layer 3 routing capabilities, it will have many
actual servers built in that typically operate at OSI layers 4/5 and
above, to facilitate management and other activities. The obvious
ones being things like a DHCP server, plus HTTP, and Telnet/SSH
servers to allow configuration. WPS server for automatic wifi
configuration.

Same is true for pretty much any other box you plug into a network
these days.

And a mail relay aÂ* mail relay, not a mail server.

All mail relays are servers, not all servers are mail relays.

Oh dear. Relaying mail is its 'primary function'. Not servingÂ* mail.

You seem to be trying to contort into a semantic oozlum bird, and I
think you are close to succeeding.

No, I have basically got people to admit that the term 'server' is not
used when the primray function is not serving.

The proimaryu fimction of a mail relay is not serving it is relaying.
Thats why we never called them servers, but relays,

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that