Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problems with email using BT

On 24/12/2019 09:21, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 23/12/2019 20:59, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I wonder why we call it a 'router' then.
Because that is its main job.

Not a 'server'
It is a server too though.

And a mail relay aÂ* mail relay, not a mail server.

A mail relay is an SMTP server and also an SMTP client.Â* If it also
provides a local (in the connectivity rather than geographical sense)
mail service then it will have, or share data with, a POP3 or IMAP (or
proprietary eg MS) server.

But mail *relays* do NOT, and have not since pretty much the days when
the internet took off, because the primary meed for a mail *server* is
massive storage and resilience, whereas a mail relay is the ability to
handle many connections and good connectivity and anti-spam security.

Very different hardware and software requirements.

Of the 8 providers that I'm configured to pick up mail from or send it
to, 6 have the same IP address for POP and SMTP. The two that don't are
gmail and yahoo.

Not my fault if you deal with shonky little outfits :-)

And no guarantee that that neans they are on the same machine either.

NAT isnt just used in domestic or end user setups

gmail is the only one with an IPv6 address.