Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Problems with email using BT

On 23/12/2019 00:27, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 22/12/2019 13:57, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/12/2019 21:39, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 21/12/2019 19:11, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/12/2019 15:45, John Rumm wrote:
I think most would be comfortable with the concept of a "SMTP
server", a "POP3 server" and an "IMAP server" as being fair
description a software process running on a server that implements
the server end of those protocols.

They might be, but the established terminology is of an SMTP relay,
because it *serves* nothing.

If it sits there with an open rendezvous port, waiting for a client
to connect, then its a server.

No, it isnt.

A router does that.

No, routers route packets.

For some reason I can't see TNP's reply which you quoted. However I am
somewhat surprised by it since I had thought he had a better grip on
networking related stuff and hence would know that a router is layer 3
device with no concept of end to end transport steam concepts like
ports
and sockets.

Every router I have had has a management interface. It listens to
telnelt ssh or http.
Does that make it a server?

Yes.Â*Â* In a rather trivial, but undeniable, sense.

I wonder why we call it a 'router' then. Not a 'server'

Because that is its primary function. It likely has a network switch
built in as well, but they don't call it that. Same for the built in WAP.

In addition to its layer 3 routing capabilities, it will have many
actual servers built in that typically operate at OSI layers 4/5 and
above, to facilitate management and other activities. The obvious ones
being things like a DHCP server, plus HTTP, and Telnet/SSH servers to
allow configuration. WPS server for automatic wifi configuration.

Same is true for pretty much any other box you plug into a network these
days.

And a mail relay aÂ* mail relay, not a mail server.

All mail relays are servers, not all servers are mail relays.

--
Cheers,

John.