Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Hacked mail

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
writes
Yes this is a historic problem. Nearly everyone who used Yahoo mail in the
online way, rather than using a client and has done it for some years seems
to have been hacked partially, ie they know who certain email addresses were
associated with from the address books hacked.
I regularly see their names but filter them via incorrect email addresses
in the line with the right name.
Normally they are of the type. I'm sorry to contact you but I've had my
card stolen and am in (insert place name here) and wondered if you could
give me some money,
Or it might be, Hey found this great site, then they put a graphic of the
innocent looking site obscuring the address of the one with the malware on
it. The latter never works for me as the graphic is not 'read' for obvious
reasons.

Other than exercise caution, there doesn't seem much can be done.

--
Tim Lamb