Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How Do You Make These Cuts In The Field...Or Don't You?

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 17:13:47 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 15:33:37 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 12/22/2019 11:16 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Not a job I would take, but if I did I'd setup a big wheel bench cart
with generator and tools to drag behind me.* Something with a work
surface, and some room for carting stock.* In that environment I'd
probably spring for a "quiet" rated generator as well.* Some might
suggest battery tools.* There are some awesome battery tools out there,
but there is just to much work there unless you buy a LOT of batteries
and chargers.

Indeed. When that was built, the battery-powered option wasn't nearly
what it is today...I had never had battery-powered circular saw; figured
that other than for just the lightest of work wouldn't be able to cut it
(so to speak ).

I was totally blown away with the 20V DeWalt line the contractors had
doing the house remodel...they're up to almost all framing work to the
point when Ace had recent sale I ponied up for the impact driver,
drill/driver and circ saw at $99/ea. Two had charger and 1/2 batteries,
the saw was bare but still end up w/ the three tools, two chargers and
three batteries for $300.

These are not your father's cordless tools. I thought the 18v stuff
was good, but the best battery pack deWalt ever made for it was 2.4
AH. The 20v packs (which work with the old tools with a rather
annoying adapter) go up to 12AH. That's a lot more runtime. And
there is a charger that handles 4 at a time.

18V and 20V packs are exactly the same, just as 10.8 and 12V packs
were the same. A LiIon cell charges at about 4.1 (sometimes specified
as 4.2V) and discharges down to about 3.6V (less than this, there
isn't a lot of energy. A "10.8V/12V" pack will have three cells in
series and an 18V/20V pack will have five cells in series. The
voltage printed on the side depends on where in the charge/discharge
curve they spec the packs and the marketing department (really, the
other way around).

BTW, the BORG has, or did yesterday, a choice of just about all of
their Ryobi tools, two 3AH batteries, and charger for $99. The tools
offered included brushless tools (though perhaps not all of them -
didn't check). I picked up a reciprocating saw (don't use it often so
Ryobi should be fine). I have a bunch of their other "weird"
tools,too. The work lights came in handy today. We got home and the
power was out. :-/