Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A thoughtful viewpoint from an Australian........ gun nuts won't be interested of course

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 13:59:57 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 11:52:27 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 06:54:22 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 9:00:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 12:03:31 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 2:54:38 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

And how's that working? Cruz walked into Dicks and other gun stores
too (thank you Fretwell), and bought whatever he wanted to buy,
a total of ten, because it was "lawful". Translation, FL, like many
other states, has no real gun control at all, so it's lawful.

From what I read about him, the cops had been called many times. He
should have already been in jail.

For what exactly? And how would that have stopped Cruz from buying ten
guns? Let's say on one of the visits to the home where he was living
with his mother, where she called the cops, she was willing to press
charges. So, they arrest him on a disorderly person's offense.
So? He's out on $1000 bail and he can still go to Dicks, buy whatever
he wants. He gets convicted, he's fined $500. He still can go to
Dicks and buy whatever he wants. You could repeat that process many
times, he still could buy whatever he wanted. He was being treated for mental
problems, no matter, he can still go to Dicks, buy whatever he wants.
It would take a FELONY conviction
and hopefully that would make it to the NICS database in DC and
only then would he have been blocked in FL. Does that make sense to
you? As opposed to a reasonable permit process, where the abnormal
behavior, all the police calls, being treated for mental health,
were readily available and would be valid reasons to deny the permit?

So you think the cops should be able to discriminate against people
that they can't actually charge with a crime? That is a slippery
slope. I bet you are a Bloomberg guy. Just jack up anyone who looks
like they are up to no good by the cops.

It's discrimination to deny a permit to buy a gun to a guy where
the police have been to their house several times, where their mother
or roommate told them they are schizophrenic? Or where police records
show that someone was picked up for acting bizarrely and taken to
the hospital for a mental evaluation? Where, with a permit
process, the police, knowing that would dig deeper, get their mental
health records, talk to the doctors treating them? It's discrimination
to deny a permit to a guy that the cops know is an aggressive alcoholic,
who they see passed out on the street once a week, who has lost
their license from 4 DWIs? Obviously not,
we've been doing exactly that for pistol permits here in NJ for forty
years. And it's been upheld by the courts.

You seem obsessed by one guy and one case.

Not true. I pointed out that a permit process could have blocked the
recent Ohio shooter too. It would have blocked the Virginia Tech shooter,
32 dead there. Those come to mind immediately. I'll keep updating you
as we continue to have more of these at an accelerating rate.

Oh, and I just found this. The Odessa TX shooter failed the NICS check,
then bought his gun via a PRIVATE SALE. Now you can't say that the glaring
loophole, which needs to be closed, does not matter. You insist those
sales be even more like buying beer and cigarettes too.

How do you stop private sales? When you figure that out you can solve
the drug problem and all of the illegal gun sales.

It is also unclear how many of those other sales would have been
blocked. You know people can move? Right?
I had a Florida driver's license 3 years before I lived here full
time.

Are you going to tell me
there was no way he could have got a gun?

No, of course not. What's sad is that you don't see the fallacy in that
logic. It's like saying that because we can't end all traffic fatalities,
no point in doing reasonable measures to reduce it. Because we can't cure
all cancer, no point in trying to cure any. People die, so what. That's
your bizarre argument.

You also seem to ignore the
people who would have sailed through the New Jersey system (like the
Vegas guy) or the ones who simply killed the owner and stole the gun
like the kid in Newtown.

See the above.

OK so lets do something to punish the lawful on the off chance that it
might stop the unlawful. Like I said, you are a Bloomberg guy. Stop
and frisk anyone who looks "hinky" to you.