Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default A thoughtful viewpoint from an Australian........ gun nuts won't be interested of course

On 12/22/2019 12:38 PM, wrote:
That was precisely why the voting age was lowered along with the
drinking age, for a while, until the prohibitionists raised it back up
to 21. We had far too many combat vets coming home from Vietnam, who
couldn't buy a drink or vote.

When I was growing up in New York State you could drink at 18 and vote
at 21. It didn't affect me by the time they swapped the ages but I
figured it was a bad deal. Let me see... Would I rather go out and have
a few beers tonight or vote for some turkey next year who isn't going to
do what he promised to do anyway? I've got to think about that for a while.

There was one problem with the drinking age. Kids would come over from
Vermont where the age was 21, get hammered, and kill themselves on the
mountain roads going home.