Posted to alt.home.repair

Default radial arm saw??

On 12/22/2019 1:43 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 11:35:21 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/22/2019 11:08 AM, G.B. Cricket wrote:
Hey All,

Been trying to find a new radial arm saw but it looks like nobody builds
them today? What happened? ??

I've got a table saw but it's very poor compared to the radial arm I had
a few decades ago.....

You'd do well to upgrade to a nice table saw. Radial saws often became
problematic over time but not sure why they disappeared.

For most people, I suspect that to have one that was usable for long
pieces, the main use, you needed a whole lot of shop space. That
market was pretty small. I do occasionally wish I had one but you can
still use a sliding miter saw for the purpose if you build the right
spot in your bench for it. I use long extensions on my table saw or
use a hand held circular saw with a jig depending on what I am doing
because the need is so rare.

Â* I sometimes wish I had a 40 x 40 wood shop here like the bay I had at
Memphis Millwork . But then I get over it . I currently have about half
of my deck enclosed with clear plastic , my table saw is set up out
there but right now I'm using that space to clear coat the 600 sq ft of
v-groove T&G 1 x 6 that's going up on the dining/kitchen (vaulted)
ceiling . 12 x 24 isn't a lot of space , but it's enough to cut out and
build cabinets and mill some trim . Anybody got a Williams & Hussey
planer/molder with a bunch of knives they wanna sell - cheap ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old