Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default Smart devices

On 20/12/2019 09:14, % wrote:
Andy Burns wrote
I've been wondering about smart lighting (maybe smart sockets and
other stuff) but wanting to avoid proprietary lock-in.Â* I know Philips
Hue and Ikea Tradfri are actually zigbee based and have limited levels
of interoperability,

Not really limited at all in fact and there are a lot more than just
those two going the zigbee route.
also a certain amount of hacking can be done,

But isnt necessary to get a viable result.
but not necessarily wanting to go the home-brew route.

Yeah me too.
This seems to be a significant announcement to open things up ...

https://www.connectedhomeip.com
https://zigbeealliance.org/news_and_articles/connectedhomeIP

But it remains to be seen if it produces buyable products.

I now have an outdoor LED light above the door step which turns on when
it is dark and there is some one there. It only cost a few quid on ebay

I also have some BG Home 13 amp double wall sockets which I can program
to turn on and off as required and can monitor and control with an
Android mobil phone app.

--
Michael Chare