Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Problems with email using BT

On 21/12/2019 08:35, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 20 December 2019 23:49:43 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/12/2019 20:00, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 20:16:16 UTC, The Natural
Philosopher wrote:
On 17/12/2019 19:38, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 16:52:45 UTC, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 17/12/2019 10:05, Broadback wrote:
I recently switched from Plus net to BT. I have my own
domain so that when I move internet supplier I can keep
the same email addresses. This has worked fine in the
past but now BT will not let me communicate with Hotmail
addresses. Why, and is there a way around this problem?

You are probably doing something wrong. There is an issue
that some BT headers look like forgeries to their own email
system so that people on BT cannot always send emails to
each other. You have to be unlucky to encounter this
intermittent problem but I have seen it happen.

I can't see any reason why BT should blacklist sending to
hotmail addresses - how exactly does it fail and with what
error msg?

I can only assume you enjoy paying more to get customer
service slowly from half way around the world to move from
Plusnet to BT. They are both nominally the same ISP only
with different external skins.

We too have moved from Plusnet to BT.

Plusnet would not offer a connection using FTTP. Not at all.
So, given we have just had FTTP made available and our ADSL
was appalling[1], we had to find an ISP that does - and there
are not many.

Really? IDNET certainly do.

[1] Appalling meaning a good day gave 4 Mbps download. A poor
day gave 0.07 Mbps. A bad day gave 0.0 Mbps. Hence moving to
FTTP was essential.

Then you had an unresolved cable fault.

IDNET do NOT offer FTTP for my location.

Is FTTP actually available in your location?

Yes - that is what I am using right now. OpenReach decided, after
surveying, that they would convert the entire estate to FTTP. which
they did. Actually connected about a month ago.

You may find it was just a case of the database of available services
had not been updated at the time you were looking. You can use the
lookup on the IDNet website to find out now:

https://www.idnet.net/data_products/...band.php#GFast

(that searches for GFast and FTTP availability)

FTTC and halfway-acceptable ADSL was available for a large proportion
of the houses but, for some reason, there were a few that did not
have either available. Just appalling ADSL. Now everyone has the FTTP
option. Including the last few houses which are currently being built
- OpenReach made sure that there is capacity and they will be
connected at the appropriate time.

I'd also like to say that the actual OpenReach staff who came,
surveyed and installed were a really friendly, hard-working crew.

Yup, often the case - the guys on the ground doing the work are usually
very good. Dealing with BT retail however is often a less rewarding
exercise!

--
Cheers,

John.