Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Smart devices

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 20/12/2019 09:14, % wrote:
Andy Burns wrote
I've been wondering about smart lighting (maybe smart sockets and other
stuff) but wanting to avoid proprietary lock-in. I know Philips Hue and
Ikea Tradfri are actually zigbee based and have limited levels of
interoperability,

Not really limited at all in fact and there are a lot more than just
those two going the zigbee route.
also a certain amount of hacking can be done,

But isnt necessary to get a viable result.
but not necessarily wanting to go the home-brew route.

Yeah me too.
This seems to be a significant announcement to open things up ...

https://www.connectedhomeip.com
https://zigbeealliance.org/news_and_articles/connectedhomeIP

But it remains to be seen if it produces buyable products.

Certainly zigbee based beasts seem to be reasonably flexible. While I'm a
fan of the Hive system as it works with our heating (including working
with Alexa), the various 'smart plugs' etc are grossly over priced as are
the lights. It doesn't work with other lights- at least not without some
work.

I use Alexa as a 'centre of integration' (if I can use that term), the app
allows you to interface a wide range of devices from other vendors-
including Hive, Ikea (without the Ikea hub- see note below), Hue, and
various 'cheap' smart plug in switches. One niggle, it seems you can't
easily have multiple locations- ie a second home, a motorhome, etc if you
want to control things there.

The Ikea lights have a 'funny'. When you first set them up, if you have
problems with Alexa 'finding them' set them up initially close
(physically) to an Alexa device (either the 'tall' Echo or the later dot -
something with the built in hub). This seems to be an issue which came
about after, I assume, some update. Once set up, all is well and the
light can be away from the Alexa 'hub' device.

That is due to the fact that zigbee devices act as repeaters.
That repeater effect isnt there until the device is registered.

(The early Dots lacked the hub required, the later ones have it.) Reseting
the lights can be 'fun', see YouTube. I made a lead to do it- just a lead
with a momentary push switch, plug, and holder.

We find having smart lights and switches etc convenient.

Yeah, me too. I have no switches at all, almost everything
is done with movement sensors except turning everything
off when I have gone to bed. Thats done with a voice
command, usually with siri or google. My echo dot isnt in
the bedroom.

Being able to, for example, control the heating remotely, turn on the
electric blanket, etc when you are out is great.

Yep, wouldnt do without it again now if I have a choice.