Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack[_3_] Mike Halmarack[_3_] is offline

Default Inkjet print a good indicator of adequate levels for a Boots photoprint?

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 21:11:28 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 19/12/2019 12:03, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 02:48:19 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Wednesday, 18 December 2019 14:28:38 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
My daughter sends me photos from her camera and I try to optimise them
for photoprinting. I often find that the final photos end up too dark,
even when I tweak my computer monitor brightness.
I know I can buy additional equipment to help with this, though I'm
not keen to.
Would printing the files on an inkjet printer provide adequate
examples of how the photoprint will ultimately come out?

If there's one adjustment I use more than any other, it's to move the brightness levels of the file up so the white areas come out white. In Gimp it's Colour, Levels.

NT

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Any easy sanity check is to take a look at the luminance histogram. That
will show any obvious faults in the raw image like under/over exposure.

These are usually pictures sent from my daughter's phone as jpegs. I
don't thinks I can get to RAW image from there.

Most print shops will automatically scale maximum brightness in the
supplied image to 255 if you feed them something underexposed.

I'll definitrely try to get that service.
--

Mike