Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default A thoughtful viewpoint from an Australian........ gun nuts won'tbe interested of course

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 1:11:26 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/18/2019 12:30 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...
Looks to me like there needs to be much more thought into how to prevent
car accidents and road rage.

Yeah, well, people die from cancer and fires too. Following that bizarre
logic, we shouldn't take simple measures to reduce needless deaths where we can.
The car accident case is a bad example, because we have passed new laws,
used new enforcement techniques and substantially reduced the deaths
and accidents from drunk driving. That plus safer cars have lowered the
accident rate. Time to do the same with guns.

Rate and numbers just slightly in the last 20 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_...ty_rate_in_U.S.
_by_year

Still slightly over 100 dead each day on the roads on the average.

The rate is important to consider too.
Progress 1.58 in 1998 to 1.13 in 2018.
5.32. From the start of statistics it came down from 24.09

Factor in the law of diminishing returns, we've done well and are
getting better. How many school shootings did you hear about in 1958?
I don't think we've done as well there.

+1

I've said many times the auto example is a good one. We didn't throw up
our hands and say, well, more people die from cancer, no need to do anything.
And reasonable measures have brought the auto death rates down. The
campaign on drunk driving is a good example. With better laws and
enforcement, deaths from drunk driving have declined significantly.
Fifty years ago, the idea of someone driving drunk wasn't really taken
seriously it is. Also note that just like with any new gun control,
we all know that we will never stop ALL drunks driving, but we still
have saved lives with reasonable measures. It's time to do the same
with guns.