Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumpy Old White Guy[_3_] Grumpy Old White Guy[_3_] is offline

Default A thoughtful viewpoint from an Australian........ gun nuts won't be interested of course

On 12/19/2019 6:23 AM, Bod wrote:
On 19/12/2019 10:44, Jack wrote:
On 12/19/19 4:12 AM, Bod wrote:
On 19/12/2019 07:57, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 05:25:33 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 18/12/2019 23:52,
wrote:
On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 17:00:55 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 18/12/2019 16:50,
wrote:
On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 15:23:44 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 18/12/2019 15:02, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,

says...

ABC US correspondent Zoe Daniel on covering mass shootings and worrying
about her kids at school

https://www.abc.net.au/news/about/ba...sting/11795138
--
Bo

Bad as it is, she does not have to be here in the first place.

People worry so much about the gun deaths, but sweep under the rug that
in the US slightly over 100 people die every day in car accidents.Â* Hard
telling how many get injured really bad.

Looks to me like there needs to be much more thought into how to prevent
car accidents and road rage.

Any other country would regard 45 school shootings in one year to be
horrendous. Nearly one a day.
I can only recall the UK having just 2 in its history.

The US has the weakest gun laws in the developed world.

Part of the problem is they lump gang disputes after hours near a
school as a school shooting. When you look at the actual numbers of
what these people fear, it is a pretty remote thing. The kids do have
a higher chance of being killed walking to school or riding with Mom
in a traffic accident.

Ok, but why then do US schools have armed guards. No school in the UK
has one.

They have cops there and by definition US cops are armed.

Eh!!!?

It may be shocking to a UK guy but our cops are always armed and some
are obscenely well armed.Â* (automatic weapons, destructive devices and
armored vehicles)

Â* It IS shocking to us. The cops must be in fear all of the time.
When I drove in the US I had to keep reminding myself that if I got stopped by the cops that I must stay in my car and keep my hands visible and keep still.
In the UK you can get out of your car before the cops do and have your hands in your pockets whilst walking towards them and they wouldn't bat an eyelid. They certainly wouldn't think you possibly had a gun in your pocket. I know because I've done it
when I got randomly stopped once.

The problem in the US is that the crybaby libtards went soft on crime and eliminated the death penalty so now we got violent repeat offenders roaming the streets.Â* We need to bring back the death penalty because once a criminal stops breathing, the
recidivism problem goes away.

The UK doesn't execute people and I agree with that.

Even for the sick perps throwing acid?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_attack

"The UK has one of the highest rates of acid attacks per capita in the world, according to Acid Survivors Trust International (ASTI). In 2016 there were over 601 acid attacks in the UK based on ASTI figures, and 67% of the victims were male, but
statistics from ASTI suggest that 80% of victims worldwide are women."

--
Get off my lawn!