Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Inkjet print a good indicator of adequate levels for a Bootsphotoprint?

On 18/12/2019 14:28, Mike Halmarack wrote:
My daughter sends me photos from her camera and I try to optimise them
for photoprinting. I often find that the final photos end up too dark,
even when I tweak my computer monitor brightness.
I know I can buy additional equipment to help with this, though I'm
not keen to.
Would printing the files on an inkjet printer provide adequate
examples of how the photoprint will ultimately come out?

The paper you print on can make a big difference. Printing colour on
ordinary "photo copier" paper will look dull, lifeless and possibly much
too dark whereas printing on a glossy photo paper will give a different
colour rendering and be more representative of what a commercial
printing service may achieve.

Calibrate your monitor first
Google "calibrating monitor to match printer"
but use a decent print on quality photo paper.

Only then can you optimise the original photo with a representative
image shown on the screen. Once calibrated you would not necessarily
have to print again on expensive paper to check the result.

Also be aware that some photo printing services will also try to enhance
the image to give a better print unless you tell them otherwise. Their
image enhancement may undo or change any manipulation you have attempted.