Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Hardening and tempering

On 15/12/2019 04:29, FMurtz wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 13/12/2019 15:39, FMurtz wrote:
Any steel boffins around?
Fe/CS
MnĀ* 2.03 0.86
FeĀ* 95.4 2.19
Presumably heat cherry red and quench ,then in the old days used to
bring to selected colour then quench to temper but nowadays they seem
to stick in oven for selected time, how about 300 degrees for an hour
then let cool slowly?

Don't quite understand your table, can you explain it better?

Directly from metal analysis instrument.

The key parameter is likely to be the carbon level, and what you are
trying to do with the final product.

With respect, that doesn't answer the question. I suppose it could be
the mean and standard deviation of the elemental content.

In which case, I would come back and say just tell us what you know
about the component. Seems likely it is a carbon manganese steel. But
without being able to estimate the carbon content, and to know what
performance you want from it, you don't need a metallurgist, you need a
psychic.