Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default Twinkle Twinkle little star

High tech, I never found any resistors in my old bulbs or holders.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 17/12/2019 20:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 07:46:39 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:

If you will recall back in the days of filament bulbs all wired in
series across the mains,

Not a lot different now, have chains of LEDS across a supply of a few
tens of volts.

Of course the danger here was that if a bulb blew short circuit then
you could get a wonderful catastrophic failure ...

Tree light bulbs are designed to fail short circuit. I've never known
a set run away blowing bulbs or the fuse bulb. Failing short makes
finding the duff one fairly easy, it's the one that isn't lit. Fail
open and you have to test each bulb individually.

All the lights I had failed open

The ones i remember all but one of the bulbs had internal wire resistors
in parallel with the filaments so that they failed at about twice the
reslstance of a normal bulb. This had little effect on brightness
until quite a few bulbs had failed. But one the bulbs was a designated
fuse bulb which failed open circuit as the filament (a thicker one?)
carried the whole current. These were usually painted white rather than
coloured and were not as bright when lit as the others.

--

Roger Hayter