Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Problems with email using BT

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 16:52:45 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/12/2019 10:05, Broadback wrote:
I recently switched from Plus net to BT. I have my own domain so that
when I move internet supplier I can keep the same email addresses. This
has worked fine in the past but now BT will not let me communicate with
Hotmail addresses. Why, and is there a way around this problem?

You are probably doing something wrong. There is an issue that some BT
headers look like forgeries to their own email system so that people on
BT cannot always send emails to each other. You have to be unlucky to
encounter this intermittent problem but I have seen it happen.

I can't see any reason why BT should blacklist sending to hotmail
addresses - how exactly does it fail and with what error msg?

I can only assume you enjoy paying more to get customer service slowly
from half way around the world to move from Plusnet to BT. They are both
nominally the same ISP only with different external skins.

We too have moved from Plusnet to BT.

Plusnet would not offer a connection using FTTP. Not at all. So, given we have just had FTTP made available and our ADSL was appalling[1], we had to find an ISP that does - and there are not many.

[1] Appalling meaning a good day gave 4 Mbps download. A poor day gave 0.07 Mbps. A bad day gave 0.0 Mbps. Hence moving to FTTP was essential.