Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bartram[_2_] Chris Bartram[_2_] is offline

Default Problems with email using BT

On 17/12/2019 12:10, Broadback wrote:
On 17/12/2019 10:05, Broadback wrote:
I recently switched from Plus net to BT. I have my own domain so that
when I move internet supplier I can keep the same email addresses.
This has worked fine in the past but now BT will not let me
communicate with Hotmail addresses. Why, and is there a way around
this problem?

Why are you using BT at all?
Use PlusNets smtp relay for outgoing.
= smtp.plus.net

Because I wish to. I never used Plusnet other than for internet. I use,
and have for years, Thunderbird, it is only BT as an internet provider

That may give you problems.

In order to have good delivery, you need to

(a) Use your ISP's SMTP relay (if sending @[your isp] addresses) or
(b) Use a SMTP relay that isn't on any RBL lists (see C below) and
matches any SPF records for your domain that you may have. If you have
no SPF records, that may give problems at times, but not that often.
(c) choose a half competent ISP (BT aren't so bad, but not that
brilliant either).
(d) Probably use SMTP-Auth, these days.

Hotmail (and outlook.com) are very, very keen on blocking mail that
looks even slightly spammy, and in particular for being real sticklers
for correct reverse DNS and SPF. One domain I'm involved with at work
has regular issues because (for reasons I won't bore you with) I cannot
set up SPF properly.

To use BT's relay, you used to have to authorise your domain on a
webpage somewhere. No idea if that still is the case.

Do you get any non-delivery reports back? You might not because hotmail
is again notorious for not sending them, probably to reduce backscatter.