Jay

Default 2- vs. 3-prong outlets

w_tom wrote:

First your created a serious human safety problem. No wire
must connect to a pipe to dump electricity in that pipe.

But that is what our breaker box does. The ground connects to the water
main. It was like that when we moved in. Is it now code to drive a rod
into the ground for an approved ground?

GFI works when test button is pressed because that is how a
GFI works. Electrical inspector simply discovered a missing
ground on a three prong plug without any indication of that
missing ground - a code violation. He did not fail the GFI.
He failed the missing safety ground.

I bought a tester as well. It failed to trip (in addition to indicating
the missing ground.) Fixing the ground fixed both problems. Maybe the
testers isn't worth a damn, but it certainly showed more than the "test"
button on the GFI box.

Now for that pipe
problem. Again, you have created a human safety problem
especially for people standing in water in a bathroom.

I grounded a previously ungrounded circuit. The 14/2 wiring was
effectively 14/0 (floating ground). The ground no longer floats and
goes to earth ground through half inch copper pipe. I would think I
made the entire circuit safer in that now all the fixture housings are
grounded to earth ground rather than floating.

The idea is not to pass the inspection. The idea is to make
a safe house.

The prime directive was to make the house safe. Passing the inspection
was a goal, however.

Thanks for your comments,
Jay