Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Car speeding alert device?

On 16/12/2019 21:29, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 14 Dec 2019 08:21:53 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google wrote:

I also think it can get speed wrong where the limit is implied by street
lighting.

I've never managed to work up the enthuasium to try an untangle
street lights, speed limits and signage.

Near Middleton-in-Teesdale there is a section of lit single
carriageway "B" road. There are no both sides of the road speed
limit/NSL signs on entry/exit. There are no small repeator signs. The
footway is only on one side of the road, the lights are on the other.

What is the speed limit and why?

30 mph if the lights are less than 200 yards apart

because

a. s.82 Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 provides that " a road is a
restricted road for the purposes of section 81 of this Act if ... in
England and Wales, there is provided on it a system of street lighting
furnished by means of lamps placed not more than 200 yards apart"; and

b. s.81 provides that "It shall not be lawful for a person to drive a
motor vehicle on a restricted road at a speed exceeding 30 miles per hour."

The only exception I can think of is where the relevant traffic
authority has directed otherwise but failed to put up signs to that
effect. But you'd have to ask yourself, "are you feeling that lucky?
and if so confident you'd find the TRO to that effect?"

--
Robin