Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Car speeding alert device?

On 16/12/2019 10:11, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 23:10:07 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 14/12/2019 20:54, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sat, 14 Dec 2019 10:33:28 -0800, polygonum_on_google wrote:

And Here We Go is my favoured satnav app - largely because it was one
of the few that works almost identically on IOS and Android and is
"free". It has several speed warning options including allowing a
small overspeed.

I like it because (a) it has speed limit display, unlike Google Maps,
and (b) it has a "driving mode" which just sits there showing speed
limits, total time driving, total distance covered, and direction.
Admittedly I've not checked the market recently ...

Google maps added a real time speed display a short while back (although
it does not show the limit)

Oh it's had real time speed display for yonks.

Not that I was aware - at least in the bundled navigation app on Android
phones, live speed readout only appeared a few months ago when they
added the "+" sign icon for reporting blockages etc.

(having said that, its not always clear exactly which app we are calling
google maps - since the maps and navigation apps on the phone seem
subtly different)

Probably as long as it
*hasn't* had a "current speed limit" display (like HERE WeGo, which is
why I use HWG over Google).

I did lurk on the Google forums about 4-5 years ago - and there was a lot
of calls for a speed limit display then. (If as you say it's still not
available, then it speaks volumes about Googles relationship with it's
customers). There were a few "apps" that were supposed to run in parallel
with Google Maps and overdraw the speed limit from their database. Even
if they had worked (they didn't) none of them had a UK database. Also, I
have learned through experience to be wary of "apps" that require
anything of Google. I've had a couple simply stop working after Google
changed Android to remove certain features.

Google Maps is OK on the desktop and for non-driving use. But so far it
falls short for me.

I find as an infrequent user, its "ok"... For years I used a dedicated
Tomtom Go 700 - In its heyday it was better than using my phone for
navigation which felt rather "austere" in comparison. With time the
position has reversed though - the phone version faster and includes
real time navigation and feedback that my old non connected tomtom does
not, and the dedicated device now has too little storage[1] for the
latest map updates.

Note however I have never bothered adding a standalone navigation app to
the phone - which may well be better.

[1] One of the ironies being when I chose the Tomtom, I went for the
version with the built in 2.5GB hard drive, since I figured the maps
would ultimately outgrow the capacity of the SD card versions (at the
time, a *big* SD card was about 256MB) :-)

--
Cheers,

John.