Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Car warranty

On 12/13/2019 7:12 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 19:32:14 -0500, wrote:

What was wrong with the Pyrex they used for decades. It was optically
effective and dirt cheap.

You could cheap out and use pyrex - but the issue of precision
encapsulation of LED or other high-tech lighting inside a hermetically
sealed glass envelope would still cause issues - and today's lights
are focussed by the reflector design - not by the glass lens.
Part of what makes the light better.
As far as ever manufacturer and model going back to using the same
headlights?????? That one's left the barn - and is NOT coming back.

https://www.carid.com/articles/brief-history-of-sealed-beam-headlights-in-us.html

I wasn't aware the proscription went back to as early as does--1940.

Certainly the cost differential for borosilicate glass would be minimal
owing to material cost; particularly if there were some standardization
required again. We're back to the plethora of customized vehicle/model
dependent replacements that caused the mandate to begin with.