Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Car warranty

On 12/14/2019 2:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/14/2019 2:04 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Dec 2019 08:50:03 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On another related note, here in NJ, the DMV used to require all cars to
be tested once a year,

Florida had inspection like that too. A democrat governor tossed it.

The predicted spike in accidents and injuries from the ending of
inspections coming from the nanny state people, never happened. A cop
can still stop you if you have some obvious problem with your car and
write a "fix it" ticket but other than that, run what you brung.Â* It
saved the state millions.

There are only a few urban areas that do emission testing in Florida
last I heard, basically scanning for codes. Out here in the red parts
of the state, they don't inspect anything.

I've seen where states with no inspection have the same accident rates
as states with.Â* It is a nice income for shops though, opportunity to
cheat too.

When I lived in PA, before they started doing emissions testing the
safety inspection was twice a year.Â* I can tell many stories about
cheating, both by drivers and shops.Â* Today, with a scanner and color
printer you could have a nice business selling fake stickers.

There were four types of shops:
1. The honest shop that did the inspection and gave you honest results.
That was the most rare.
2,Â* The shop that told you things like a drag link, idler arm needed
replacement because most owners had no idea what they were.
3.Â* The shop that took you money and did nothing.Â* You had to stay at
least 20 minutes because that was the state approved time for
inspection.Â* It was not visible from the street if watched.
4.Â* A variation of the above.Â* They put the car on a lift in case they
were being watched.Â* Seems like very car they inspected needed headlight
adjustment, a quick and easy buck.

We had three cars in our house,Â* I took all three to the same shop, two
with know to me defects, but turned out, just a quick headlight
adjustment was all that was needed.

I also used shop 3.Â* I should not say Frank did nothing, he put his foot
on the brake pedal while scraping off the old sticker.Â* Yep, feels good.
Â*Put the new sticker on.

Living in DE I know PA inspection is a PITA. Many on the PA border that
might have moved from DE will maintain the DE license to avoid this crap.

We have a state inspection which does not have to be done on a new car
for 5 years and then every 2 years thereafter.

Inspections do not improve accident rates but they will remove junk off
the road like one I saw years ago where the guy had cut the roof off a
car to make it truck like. It was a piece of junk.