Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mailbox keeps getting knocked over by mailman

On 12/14/19 10:33 AM, dusty wrote:
My mailbox is in front of my house and unfortunately lies along a
concave curve, not very sharp, but sharp enough that either the mailman
or a car has hit it three or four times over a couple of decades.

The box itself is bolted to a 4x4, then this goes into a patented flex
adapter that allows the top 2 feet of post and the mailbox to flex if
anyone touches it.Â* The bottom 2 feet or so then feeds into a 4x4
bracket that is bolted to a concrete sidewalk at the four corners of the
bracket with 5/8" lag bolts and lead anchors in the concrete.

Although the lag bolt/ lead anchor system has worked, one or more of the
bolts seems to work out over time making the bracket and therefore the
entire box and post unstable.Â* This week after the box was struck by the
mailman and toppled over, I was thinking of changing out the lag bolts
for something else.Â* I wasn't sure what.Â* I spotted some "wedge anchors"
in the hardware store, specifically for concrete, but no one there could
tell me how they worked.Â* I was also thinking of using some sort of
concrete epoxy to glue stainless steel studs into the concrete and then
just attach the bracket with ss nuts.

Not sure if I should do it or not.Â* The lead anchors seem to "give" if
anyone hits the box, but concreted studs probably won't.

Opinions welcome and thanks in advance.

Maybe something more flexible would be better:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/vusp7ef