Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Car speeding alert device?

On Friday, 13 December 2019 18:29:56 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 13/12/2019 12:12, alan_m wrote:
On 13/12/2019 12:08, George Miles wrote:
I'm now at 9 points on my driving licence,
whatÂ* gadgets and apps are there to help me avoid another speed camera?

An audible alert or a big red light please

[george]

Some Satnat units have an over-speed warning.

My neighbours New Auris hybrid seems to be able to
'read' speed limit signs and alter the speedo to
indicate the maximum allowed in that location.

Not sure if this is GPS or a camera.

Got the same on a Yaris I drive quite often. Seems OK most of the time (definitely camera-based) but every so often simply makes up its mind the speed limit is something other than what it really is. For example, says it is 30 in a 40 zone. Usually corrects at next sign, but not always.

Also, does not know the difference between national speed limit on a dual carriageway and on other raods - just shows a derestricted (NSL) sign.

I also think it can get speed wrong where the limit is implied by street lighting.