Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radiator - flow and return on same side?

On 13/12/2019 17:00, harry wrote:
On Friday, 13 December 2019 00:26:04 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 12/12/2019 16:42, R D S wrote:
It would be advantageous if I could connect up a rad with the flow and
return on the same side (top and bottom).

I get that best case scenario it will take longer to heat up, will it
take a lot longer? Will it fully heat up all?

Can you still get the valves that were designed to connect to one
connection only? The valve had both flow and return piped to it and the
return had a tube fitted that extended along the inside of the radiator,
forcing it to run from the far end.

A quick google has brought the type up:

https://www.plumbersforums.net/threa...e-valve.46614/

SteveW

They were made by Yorkshire Copper and called "Biflow Valves".
Haven't seen them for years. They worked well so long as the internal pipe was fitted.

Yes, my parents had them on all but one of their radiators (that was a
double panel with the feed between the two panels). Theirs had plastic
piping throughout from the manifolds (10mm, 8mm and 6mm IIRC) all sized
to give the correct flows, so no need for lockshield valves or balancing
(and no method to). My dad worked it all out in advance and put it in in
1972.

After about 30 years, they had to slowly shift to copper and use
conventional valves, as the plastic piping had become brittle and
snapped easily if knocked.

Googled but no results.

No, I haven't seen them for years.

SteveW